The Winter Meetings got underway in San Diego, California, yesterday, but the first big moves of the week are likely to come at some point today. Most of the news concerning the Yankees yesterday revolved around free agents Chase Headley. New York is said to be willing to give Headley a four-year deal if the money is right, but the Giants are expected to go hard after Headley if they miss out on Jon Lester and the Astros have also expressed interest. Here's what happened in Day One of the Winter Meetings:
- Billy Beane continues to dismantle the Athletics' roster by dealing Brandon Moss to the Cleveland Indians in return for minor league second baseman Joe Wendle. A deal to send Jeff Samardzija, who was just acquired before the trade deadline in exchange for top shortstop prospect Addison Russell, to the Chicago White Sox in exchange for Marcus Semien and a few minor leaguers is expected to be finalized today.
- The Rockies and Mets are reportedly talking a trade concerning Troy Tulowitzki but a deal is unlikely at this point. Some have questioned just how available Tulowitzki is, and the Rockies seem very unwilling to take a discount to make up for the shortstop's injury questions.
- The Mariners are currently seen as the favorites to sign free agent outfielder and former Yankee, Melky Cabrera. Having already signed Nelson Cruz this season, inking Kyle Seager to a contract extension, and adding Robinson Cano to the mix last year, it's obvious that the Mariners are doing all they can to compete in the AL West.
- Jon Lester is expected to make a decision on where he will pitch in 2015 at some point today. The finalists are said to be the Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, and Giants. The market for pitchers will be set once Lester finds a new home, so more dominoes are likely to fall once his announcement comes.
- The Orioles are looking to fill their outfield vacancy left by Nick Markakis signing with the Braves by checking in on free agent outfielder Nori Aoki and Colby Rasmus. Nothing seems to be imminent on that front at this point. They could also reportedly try to swing a trade for the Phillies' Marlon Byrd.
- The Red Sox were interested in flipping Yoenis Cespedes for Rick Porcello of the Tigers, but there wasn't a match there. Boston is in desperate need of pitching with the likes of Joe Kelly and Clay Buchholz at the front of their rotation as it currently stands.
- Kendrys Morales is said to be seeking a multi-year deal in the range of what Billy Butler received from the A's. Lofty expectations caused Morales to sit out last season until after the draft and it's difficult to imagine that the market for him would be much different this season.
- The Reds are interested in traded for Cespedes with excess pitching to offer in return, which could make them intriguing partners for the Red Sox. Cincinnati is in need of a power bat at the moment.
- The Diamondbacks and Cubs are discussing a deal that would send Miguel Montero to Chicago. It doesn't sound like a deal is imminent, but there is enough there to think that something could get done before the end of the week. Arizona previously discussed a deal that would have sent Montero to the Dodgers.
- Chase Headley will reportedly make his decision by the end of the week. The Yankees are seen as the favorites right now, but the Giants could up the ante if they miss out on Lester.
- The Braves are trying to package Chris Johnson in any trade with outfielder Justin Upton. The Braves are probably going to be looking for a higher return for Upton than they got for trading Jason Heyward to the Cardinals in return for Shelby Miller.
As you know by now, the Yankees have lost David Robertson to the White Sox after he agreed to a four-year, $46 million contract with them very early this morning. Maybe that will cause Brian Cashman to spring into action today with some big moves. We'll see.