With the deadline frenzy about to hit, it's good to consider what philosophies various GM's through the years have employed. While you, or I for that matter, may not agree with all, they set the base for the criteria many front offices employ in structuring a deal.
1. Thou shall always deal from strength
2. Thou shall buy low and sell high
3. Thou shall not pay full value when taking on salary
4. Thou shall not hug thy prospects
5. Thou shall acquire the best player in the transaction
6. Thou shall not "chase" thy rival's deal
7. Thou shall acquire pitching in every deal
8. Thou shall not trade starting position players for pitchers
9. Thou shall remember that pennants fly forever
10. When in doubt, thou shall "punt"
Let the games begin!