Tick. Tock. Brian Cashman is on the clock to add pitching before the July 31 trade deadline. Yesterday went by without a deal, and the most significant transaction of the day saw Jason Vargas head to the Phillies. The Mets are having some week, huh? Hopefully the Yankees pick up the pace today.
Since it can sometimes be hard to keep up with the news, Pinstripe Alley is going to run a series of posts containing all the Yankees rumors over the next three days. It’s important to remember that these are rumors, and you should take them with a grain of salt. Teams frequently posture, selectively releasing information in a way that benefits them.
Rumors of the Day (July 30, 2019)
- 10:07 PM ET: The Reds have acquired Trevor Bauer in a three-team trade with the Indians and Padres, reports Jeff Passan. Sub-.500 teams are the only buyers, apparently.
- 9:30 PM ET: The Tigers are most likely holding on to starter Matt Boyd, Heyman reports. He also relays that Detroit indeed sought Gleyber Torres for the left-hander.
- 8:05 PM ET: Matt Ehalt says the Mets aren’t interested in any deals centered around Clint Frazier or Miguel Andujar.
- 7:20 PM ET: Heyman says the Yankees are trying to reel in an ace, and are engaged with the Giants and Indians on Madison Bumgarner and Trevor Bauer, respectively. There is a sense that they could actually move before the deadline.
- 6:57 PM ET: The Yankees are still in the mix for Zack Wheeler, but Mets would reportedly charge a “Yankees premium” to deal with them which makes a cross-town trade unlikely.
- 6:20 PM ET: According to Jeff Passan, the Bombers might just stand pat at the trade deadline because they don’t want to overpay.
- 5:00 PM ET: The Yankees are joined in their pursuit Tanner Roark by the A’s and Braves, reports Heyman. Here’s hoping Roark is just a fallback option.
- 5:00 PM ET: Martino says to keep an eye on Tigers reliever Shane Greene. I guess the Yankees are trying to hoard all the players involved in the Didi Gregorius trade, as SJComic once noted.
- 3:15 PM ET: Jon Morosi and Ken Rosenthal report that the Mariners are open to moving Mike Leake. They will need to work through his no-trade clause, though. This feels like a Jaime Garcia or Lance Lynn type of move, doesn’t it?
- 1:45 PM ET: According to Tim Brown, the Astros are talking with the Giants about Madison Bumgarner. If Houston wants him, the Yankees should too.
- 10:45 AM ET: Frazier is still in today’s lineup for Scranton. This jives with what Martino says about a deal not being close.
- 10:45 AM ET: Martino, meanwhile, says that nothing is imminent between the Yankees and Diamondbacks.
- 9:23 AM ET: Peter Gammons indicated on Twitter that he’s heard about a potential swap between the Yankees and Diamondbacks involving Clint Frazier and Robbie Ray and Archie Bradley. Frazier for pitching has been floated as possible idea for a while, and we could see it come to fruition.
- 9:23 AM ET: According to Andy Martino, the Yankees are among several teams still “in play” for Mets right-hander Zack Wheeler. This assumes the Mets would do business with the Bombers, and who knows about that.
- 9:23 AM ET: The Giants expect to hang on to left-hander Madison Bumgarner, says Alex Pavlovic. The Yankees always appeared split on the 29-year-old, but losing the Bumgarner option makes the market far more difficult to navigate.
- 9:23 AM ET: The Yankees are growingly increasingly pessimistic over their chances to add a starting pitcher, reports Joel Sherman. They could bolster the bullpen and call it a day.
Reminder: This is not an open thread. Please keep comments on topic. Thank you.