The Mets kicked off the trade deadline frenzy yesterday by acquiring Marcus Stroman from the Blue Jays in exchange for two pitching prospects. Can’t say that I saw that one coming. The Yankees long seemed like a logical destination for the 28-year-old, but he will head to Queens instead. Expect more action to unfold as the July 31 trade deadline draws ever closer.
Since it can sometimes be hard to keep up with the news, Pinstripe Alley is going to run a series of posts containing all the Yankees rumors over the next three days. It’s important to remember that these are rumors, and you should take them with a grain of salt. Teams frequently posture, selectively releasing information in a way that benefits them.
Rumors of the Day (July 29, 2019)
- 4:45 PM ET: Heyman reports that the Brewers and Astros are engaged on Diamondbacks left-hander Robbie Ray, and notes that the Yankees are among the others still interested. Ray’s control problems make him far from a slam dunk, but he’s one of the better options remaining on the market.
- 4:45 PM ET: The Blue Jays likely won’t stop with the trade of Stroman. The Athletic’s Jayson Stark indicated that relievers Ken Giles, Joe Biagini, and Daniel Hudson all could move before the deadline. Stark added that the Yankees scouted them this weekend.
- 11:18 AM ET: Rival executives have asked for Gleyber Torres from the Yankees when discussing starting pitching, says Heyman. New York obviously won’t trade the infielder, and teams probably just want to ask big.
- 10:00 AM ET: The Blue Jays asked the Yankees for top prospect Deivi Garcia in discussions for Stroman, reports Jon Heyman. Those talks apparently never got far. I don’t know about you, but the best case scenario for Garcia is a pitcher of Stroman’s caliber, right? Seems fair to me.
- 10:00 AM ET: In other news, Heyman notes that the Yankees are willing to entertain offers for injured third baseman Miguel Andujar in addition to Clint Frazier.
- 10:00 AM ET: Per Scott Miller, the Yankees had scouts on hand for Madison Bumgarner’s start yesterday. The left-hander allowed four runs over seven innings against the Padres, walking two and striking out six in the process.
- 10:00 AM ET: Don’t expect a major Yankees-Mets trade, says Andy Martino. The Bombers have been connected to Noah Syndergaard, Zack Wheeler, and Edwin Diaz of late, but I’ll need to see a significant deal between these two teams when I see it.
Reminder: This is not an open thread. Please keep comments on topic. Thank you.