Breathe a sigh of relief, Yankees fans. Earlier today, the Bombers activated second baseman Gleyber Torres from the 10-day disabled list. He’s in this afternoon’s starting lineup! As a corresponding move, the team optioned Tyler Wade to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
The Yankees placed Torres on the disabled list following the team’s game on the Fourth of July. He suffered a right hip strain. The second baseman indicated that it had been a nagging problem, so here’s hoping the time off did him well.
For what it’s worth, Torres seemed amped when asked about his return:
Gleyber Torres said he’s “super excited” to be back in the lineup. Said it’s been at least “a couple weeks” since he’s felt the injury. “I really feel good. Everything is all right.”— Erik Boland (@eboland11) July 25, 2018
One cannot overstate how important Torres is to the lineup. He slashed .294/.350/.555 with 15 home runs in 63 games for the Yankees. The 21-year-old provided a spark to a struggling club back in April, jettisoning them into a top team. Now the Bombers have to hope he can do that again, as the club has been admittedly sluggish of late.
Wade, 23, owns a .185/.228/.315 (44 wRC+) on the season. That doesn’t paint the whole picture, however. He enjoyed far more success in his second stint with the club this year, batting .368/.368/.632 with a home run in 19 plate appearances. That’s a small sample size, but it’s nice to see him actually hit. He performed well, but the Yankees need Torres back.
Things are looking up for the Bombers. Torres is back and Zach Britton is on the way. The cavalry is coming for the stretch run.