The Winter Meetings come to a close today. With the Rule 5 draft at 12 PM EST, most teams expect to be out of Las Vegas shortly thereafter. There are still rumblings and rumors, however, and we’re going to keep track of them.
Since it can sometimes be hard to keep up with the news, Pinstripe Alley is going to run a series of posts containing all the Yankees rumors over the Winter Meetings. It’s important to remember that these are rumors, and should be taken with a grain of salt. Teams and agents posture, selectively releasing information in a way that benefits them.
Rumors of the Day (December 13, 2018)
- The Yankees will continue to explore the starting pitching market, even after landing Happ, explains Marc Carig. Brian Cashman relayed to Carig that a deal for one of Cleveland’s top arms, like Corey Kluber or Trevor Bauer, is unlikely.
- The Rule 5 draft is underway, and the Yankees have lost right-handed pitcher Nick Green to the Diamondbacks, per JJ Cooper. Green came over to the Yankees in the Carlos Beltran trade. The team also announced that minor leaguers Chris Rabago, Anyelo Gomez, Gilmael Troya, Mark Payton, and Alexander Vargas were selected by other clubs.
- With J.A. Happ back in the fold, Sweeny Murti reports that the Yankees will now focus on free agent relievers. David Robertson, Andrew Miller, and Adam Ottavino are all options.
- George King got the day started with Sonny Gray trade rumors. The Yankees don’t foresee see him on the club in 2019, but their asking price is steep. A trade may take a while to come together.
- King also notes that the team doesn’t expect to sustain any substantial losses in the Rule 5 draft.
Reminder: This is not an open thread. Please keep comments on topic. Thank you.