Yesterday came and went without a move for the Yankees. There were plenty of rumors, though. We learned about Sonny Gray, J.A. Happ, and the bullpen. Brian Cashman also addressed a variety of topics, including Manny Machado and Bryce Harper. Oh, and there was that whole three-team trade discussion! Maybe today will bring some more excitement.
Since it can sometimes be hard to keep up with the news, Pinstripe Alley is going to run a series of posts containing all the Yankees rumors over the next three days. It’s important to remember that these are rumors, and should be taken with a grain of salt. Teams and agents posture, selectively releasing information in a way that benefits them.
Rumors of the Day (December 11, 2018)
- The Yankees and Mets may continue to explore trade dialogues, as the two sides are enjoying a friendlier relationship, notes Andy Martino.
- Brian Cashman met with members of the media and addressed a variety of topics. He reiterated that the Yankees aren’t in the market for a starting catcher and are committed to Gary Sanchez (Marc Carig). He played coy about meeting with Manny Machado (Bryan Hoch), and said teams have called about a variety of players, including Jacoby Ellsbury and James Paxton (Lindsey Adler).
- Solomon Syed, meanwhile, says the Marlins are prepared to walk away from the Mets if they don’t loop in the Yankees and Syndergaard. Derek Jeter is still the Yankees captain.
- This is a bummer. Jon Morosi reports that the three-team deal between the Mets, Marlins, and Yankees is “not progressing”. The Mets will negotiate with the Marlins over Realmuto directly.
- Manny Machado will meet with teams in the coming days, reports Buster Olney. He will visit clubs in their cities. I am all for more Photoshopped video boards.
- Jon Heyman says the Mets are “very aggressive” on trading for Realmuto. They’re reportedly debating trading Amed Rosario straight to the Marlins instead of involving the Yankees and Syndergaard.
- J.A. Happ may be nearing a decision, reports Jeff Passan, and it will likely come down to who offers him a third year.
- Joel Sherman hears that the Yankees might acquire Realmuto, only to hang on to him and use him in a catching-tandem with Gary Sanchez.
- Well then, according to Ken Rosenthal, the Yankees are reportedly “open to moving” Miguel Andujar in a trade for Realmuto. This is getting interesting.
- Joe Frisario reports that the Marlins have several teams bidding on Realmuto, and the three-team deal with the Yankees and Mets is considered a long shot. Bummer.
- Buster Olney suggests that the Marlins are motivated to move Realmuto, and are working hard to finish a deal.
- Andy Martino notes that the Yankees aren’t limiting their discussions over Mets starting pitchers to Noah Syndergaard. I’m guessing Jacob deGrom is off the table, so that leaves Zack Wheeler and Steven Matz. Would the Yankees go through all this trouble just for Wheeler or Matz, though?
- The Yankees, Mets, and Marlins discussed a three-team blockbuster with J.T. Realmuto, and maybe Noah Syndergaard, involved. We find it fascinating.
Reminder: This is not an open thread. Please keep comments on topic. Thank you.