It’s the first full day of the Winter Meetings, which means there should be plenty of action around baseball today. A stream of Yankees news already leaked out yesterday, and you can catch up on it here. What will today bring? Check back for live updates.
Since it can sometimes be hard to keep up with the news, Pinstripe Alley is going to run a series of posts containing all the Yankees rumors over the next three days. It’s important to remember that these are rumors, and should be taken with a grain of salt. Teams and agents posture, selectively releasing information in a way that benefits them.
Rumors of the Day (December 10, 2018)
- The Yankees, Mets, and Marlins are discussing a three-team trade that involves J.T. Realmuto, It may or may not involve Noah Syndergaard, too. More on this to come, but Ken Rosenthal has the early details. Let’s get weird, folks.
- Despite the team’s vehement denial, Jon Heyman reports that the Yankees are among the top seven contenders for Marlins catcher J.T. Realmuto. Keep Gary Sanchez and use that prospect firepower to trade for a pitcher, if you ask me.
- Andy Martino reports that the Yankees are “highly reluctant” to offer J.A. Happ more than a two-year deal. I’m not as high on Happ as others, but at some point the Yankees need to fill out their rotation.
- Brian Cashman addressed members of the media at the Winter Meetings. He ruled out Bryce Harper (Feinsand), conceded Patrick Corbin was the best available starter on the open market (Adler), and indicated the team would keep in touch with Manny Machado’s agent (Feinsand). Cashman also said the team has “extensively” scouted Yusei Kikuchi (Sherman).
- The Yankees have touched base with the Reds and discussed Scooter Gennett, reports Jon Heyman, although the extent of the conversations are unknown. Marwin Gonzalez and Josh Harrirson are also options.
- Morosi says Cleveland wants a high-end young outfielder for Kluber. For the Yankees that means Estevan Florial. I’m not sure he can beat out an Alex Verdugo-led package by the Dodgers, or if the Yankees even have interest in moving Florial.
- The Yankees have a high asking price for Sonny Gray, notes Joel Sherman. He explains the team asked the Reds for Taylor Trammel, Cincinnati’s number two prospect and 17th overall. Shoot your shot, I guess.
- Jon Morosi is reporting that trade discussions over Corey Kluber are “intensifying”. The Dodgers are linked to Cleveland, but I hope the Yankees are in the mix.
- George King notes that the Yankees are unlikely to have a reunion with Zach Britton, “...who is lock to leaving for a team he can close”.
- King also reports that the Yankees haven’t ruled out bringing back Adam Warren, again. As Kunj mentioned in the season review post, the poor guy should ask for a no-trade clause.
- David Robertson may also be exiting the Bronx, and he’s drawn interest from the Dodgers, Red Sox, Mets, and others, per Mark Feinsand.