For this week's prompt, I'll explore how I think the MLB postseason can be made better.
My ideal format would see the following:
- Eliminate the WC completely
- Change the league to four divisions
- No more WC round of playoffs, Division winners play each other and advance as they always have
Given that is unlikely to happen, I'd do the following:
- Expand the number of Wild Card teams to three
- Expand the Wild Card from a "play-in" game to a best of five (with the two WC teams with the best records)
- At the same time of the WC series, the Wild Card team with the worst record faces the Division winner with the best record; the other two division winners face off
- The WC team that wins the WC playoff series plays the winner of the WC/D1 series; the winner of the D2/D3 series has to wait for that series to play for the LCS.
- The only off days are travel days (no two day wait between games)
- Start the playoffs on the same day for both leagues. The schedules adjust anyway if a series is short due to a sweep.
- No early afternoon playoff games (all start times either at 4:05pm or 7:05pm local time)
- No morning playoff games (local time)
- No 8pm (or later) scheduled start times for night games
- Play double-headers if needed due to weather (modify rules to allow flexible rosters in that situation, if it doesn't already exist)