Prospect ranking season is underway and Minor League Ball released their end of season update for the top 75 prospects in baseball. The only Yankee to make the list was Gary Sanchez at No. 42. He had previously placed at No. 35 in July and No. 46 before the season, so he's moved all over the place.
While he did drop in rank after mid-season, he was also rated as the second best catching prospect in baseball behind Travis D'Arnaud at No. 24. John Sickels states that he's making progress on his defense, despite all the talk of the contrary this season. It would be nice to get a consensus on how good or bad his defense really is.
While not ranking, several other Yankee prospects made the Honorable Mentions list: Greg Bird, Rafael De Paula, and Mason Williams. De Paula had made the midseason list at No. 48, but after struggling in High-A this season his value clearly took a nosedive. Hopefully Greg Bird will continue his surge in 2014 and start shooting up prospect lists.
More from Pinstriped Bible:
- Pinstripe Alley Podcast Episode 25: We'll miss you, Mo
- Yankees Free Agent Targets: Jose Abreu to showcase at Yankees Dominican complex, Raicel Iglesias defects
- You cannot spell modesty or emotion without Mo
- 2013 Yankees infield: a terrible revolving door
- Yankees Notes: Clarity for 2014, who's playing, who's leaving & more