It has been a while since the 6 a.m. news, so here is what you may have missed in the mean time:
- The biggest news to happen today was the confirmation of playoff expansion for the 2012 season. Ken Rosenthal likes the new format, but I think there were other ways to make winning the division count more without watering down the playoff field. Hey, Selig, how about using some of your need to change things around for good, like expanding replay?
- Quick notes out of the Yankees camp today:
- The Yankees do practice the flip play, Bobby Valentine.
- Austin Romine might not see much Spring Training playing time because of his injured back.
- RHP Dan Burawa, of all people, has impressed Girardi and a few hitters with his pitching.
- Russell Branyan will also miss time because of back issues. We'll have to wait on the DINGERS!
- The Yankees released Cano's cousin, Burt Reynolds, today. Goodnight, sweet prince. We hardly knew ye.
- Mike Napoli intends to see what he can get in free agency this offseason. If he can come close to replicating his 2011, sign me up.
- Former Yankee A.J. Burnett injured his eye while bunting today and is flying back to Pittsburgh to have it examined. Sigh. There are so many reasons that this is absurd.