Tonight, the Yankees look to avoid a sweep at the hands of their bitter rivals and look to begin the ascent toward evening their record against Boston. They also look for their first home victory against the Red Sox this season. Oh, and to move back into first place in the AL East. Who better to have on the mound than CC Sabathia?
Three of CC's last four starts were brilliant, while the other one was very good. In those four games, he's tossed 33.2 innings to the tune of a 1.60 ERA. He's earned a victory in all four games as well. While his K/9 in those games is not where we ideally want it to be (5.34), his BB/9 is tremendous (1.34). CC has been in total command and has been the rock in the rotation that the Yankees desperately need. In one of CC's worst home games ever as a Yankee, he allowed six runs in six innings against Boston on May 14. I'm thinking that today should be a different story.
Opposing Sabathia is the resurgent form of Josh Beckett. The Yankees are all too familiar with Beckett from the past, but this season he's been exceptional against them. In two starts, he's pitched 14 innings and compiled 19 strikeouts while allowing only six hits, three walks and zero runs. That's right, the Yankees haven't even touched Josh Beckett. Third time's a charm? Beckett is one of the early front-runners for the Cy Young award and could easily be starting for the American League in the All Star Game. Let's see if the All Star caliber lineup of New York can finally break through against him.
Red Sox lead the series 2-0
WP: Jon Lester (8 - 2)
SV: Jonathan Papelbon
LP: Freddy Garcia (4 - 5)
|4 - 6 loss|
WP: Tim Wakefield (3 - 1)
SV: Alfredo Aceves
LP: A.J. Burnett (6 - 4)
|6 - 11 loss|
Lineups, matchups, previews, and notes after the jump.Here's the Yankee lineup for tonight's game:
1) Derek Jeter SS, 2) Curtis Granderson CF, 3) Mark Teixeira 1B, 4) Alex Rodriguez 3B, 5) Robinson Cano 2B, 6) Nick Swisher RF, 7) Jorge Posada DH, 8) Brett Gardner LF, 9) Francisco Cervelli C
Here's the Red Sox lineup for tonight's game:
1) Jacoby Ellsbury CF, 2) Marco Scutaro 2B, 3) Adrian Gonzalez 1B, 4) Kevin Youkilis 3B, 5) David Ortiz DH, 6) Jed Lowrie SS, 7) Carl Crawford LF, 8) Mike Cameron RF, 9) Jason Varitek C
1) Derek Jeter is 11 hits shy of 3,000. In 80 career AB's against Beckett, Jeter has 24 hits (.300).
KenDavidoff Ken Davidoff
3) Despite temperatures in the high 90s at game time, there are plenty of thunderstorms that stretch from New Hampshire down to Pennsylvania that could be problematic for tonight's game. Maybe that's a good thing?
4) Dustin Pedroia will not be available for the Red Sox today. He's on a plane back to Boston to have his knee examined by doctors. Hopefully he's not out for an extended period of time. Injuries are no fun.
Game thread will be up at 6:45. For the love of Baby Jesus Montero, WIN!