With the Yankees just barely ahead of the Red Sox in the American Leage East standings, A.J. Burnett will take the ball, hoping to give the Yanks a much needed win against their rival. Burnett has given the Yankees quality starts in half of his games, including a 7 inning, 2 run game against Oakland in his last start. He will be making his first start against the Red Sox this season.
Due to a sore back, Clay Buchholz will not be making his scheduled start tonight. Instead, ancient knuckle-baller Tim Wakefield will take the mound for the Red Sox. In five starts this season, Wakefield has given the Sox two quality starts, and will be making his first start against the Yanks this season.
Joe Girardi really wants this series, especially since the Yankees are now 1-6 against the Sox:
It's an important series for us. We have not played particularly well against the Red Sox in the first [seven] games. Obviously this is a division rival, it's two teams looking to get to the postseason and do great things. First place is on the line this week. I know it's still early, but it means something.
Red Sox lead the series 1-0
WP: Jon Lester (8 - 2)
SV: Jonathan Papelbon
LP: Freddy Garcia (4 - 5)
|4 - 6 loss|
Boston Red Sox
Wednesday, Jun 8, 2011, 7:05 PM EDT
Tim Wakefield vs A.J. Burnett
Clear. Winds blowing out to left field at 5-15 m.p.h. Game time temperature around 90.
Complete Coverage >
|Thu 06/09||7:05 PM EDT|
Lineups, matchups, previews, and notes after the jump.
Jeter, Granderson, Tex, A-Rod, Cano, Swish, Gardner, Nunez, Cervelli
Ellsbury, Pedroia, A-Gon, Youk, Ortiz, Crawford, Scutaro, Drew, Varitek
A.J. Burnett vs. current Red Sox
Tim Wakefield vs. current Yankees
- Derek Jeter has not struck out in 57 consecutive plate appearances, the longest such streak of his career.
- Countdown to 3,000: The Captain is just 12 hits shy.
- The Yankees have had at least a share of first place for 47 of the first 68 days of this season.
- After getting hit last night, Mark Teixeira was a afraid he had a broken knee cap. X-rays were negative and Tex was diagnosed with a bone bruise. He's in the lineup tonight.
- Finally, can the Yankees and Red Sox be any more even?