Today is a fairly slow day in the Yankee world, and that's probably a good thing. The Bombers have returned to the Bronx after a 3-4 road trip at Detroit and Texas and will welcome the Kansas City Royals tomorrow night when Melky Cabrera makes his return to Yankee Stadium for the first time since being traded to Atlanta.
Since it's an off day, here's a few questions I'd like to ask you all.
1) How will the Yankees perform on this upcoming homestand? (3 against KC, 3 against BOS)
2) Who is the best team in baseball right now and why?
3) What's your favorite stadium to see the Yankees play in away from Yankee Stadium?
1) Jorge Posada is 0-23 thus far against left-handed pitching this year. He has, however, worked six walks.
2) Most agree that it's strange that Derek Jeter hadn't hit a homer in the month of April. Perhaps that's because last year he smacked four in April (Ironically enough, I was at all those games). However, Jeter has had three seasons in which he hit his first homer post-May 8. In 2001 and 2008, he hit his first homer on May 10. In 2003, he didn't connect until May 25!
3) Despite the heavy doses of homers that the Yankees have been slugging, Alex Rodriguez hasn't gone yard since April 23. In fact, he's only 9-53 (.170) since his last homer. I'm betting the short porch in right will see an "A-Bomb" sometime this week.
4) Last year at this point, Curtis Granderson was sitting on the DL with a triple slash of .225/.311/.375 with two homers and seven RBI. This year? Just .283/.359/.646 with 11 homers and 23 RBI. I guess that trade that was heavily criticized is beginning to pay dividends.
Come back at 2 for a 1/5 season analysis by Travis!