The Yankees will try for the three-game sweep this afternoon as Andy Pettitte returns to the hill two months and a day since his last big league appearance. He'll face RHP Chris Tillman.
- A great article by Jeff Passan at Yahoo Sports, highlighting some of this season's most extraordinary statistical finds. Several Yankees made the list, including Derek Jeter, Mo Rivera, Mark Teixeira and Brett Gardner.
- Brian Cashman joked about A.J. Burnett's black eye before last night's game -
He pitched great with that black eye. Go out and get another one, you know? Maybe a couple of other guys on our staff could use one...
I don't know how he got it and I didn't ask. I didn't want to know. All I know is his arm worked fine. His legs worked fine. He could see fine. So he had a black eye? So what? It happens.
Everything is fun when you're winning.
- Robbie Cano's two-run homer gave him 101 RBI on the season, the first time he's topped 100. Congrats, Robbie. May it be the first of many.
- Joe Girardi was unhappy with Guthrie's beaning of Jeter last night -
Too many, just too many. I don't really understand it. I know he likes to pitch inside, but it's just too many. That doesn't include the ones in spring training. It's too many.
- The Yankees are happy that Don Mattingly will succeed Joe Torre as manager of the Dodgers. Jeter said -
[Mattingly] worked hard and put in a lot of time and effort being a coach and hitting coach for a long time, and now bench coach. Now he's got a chance to manage, and I'm happy for him. He put in the time, I am glad he is getting the opportunity.
- Is there a chance Joe Torre would consider managing the Mets next year? For his sake, I hope not.
- The Blue Jays are hoping to play 'spoiler' in the division. They're altering their rotation to line up better pitchers against the Yankees for the Sept. 27-29 series.
- The Trenton Thunder lost the Eastern League title to the Altoona Curve, three games to one.
- A video interview with a cute girl and Brian Cashman, courtesy of MASN.