CC Sabathia had a rough outing Tuesday, failing to make it through the fifth inning. Nobody seemed to care, though, as the main attraction was switch-pitching Pat Venditte.
Venditte pitched 1.1 innings in his role as Spring Training sideshow. That is really all Venditte has ever been in the Yankee organization -- a curiosity, somebody to watch because he is different, not because of his ability.
He knows he is the only one who can change that.
"I understand where it's coming from, and it's my job to go out there and prove that I can pitch," Venditte said. "People are going to have their doubts when they hear something like this, and it's my job to prove that I can do it."
- A study found that the Yankees pay their players a higher average salary than any other franchise in sports. That should not surprise anyone. What blew me away is that the next three teams on the list were international soccer powers. I had no idea that sport was so lucrative.
- Time Warner Cable subscribers will be able to get Yankee games streamed to them on their computers this season.
- Accuscore projects the Yankees as American League East champions.
- SI.com's Tom Verducci listed his top 10 teams of all time. The top three teams on the list were the 1927, 1939 and 1998 Yankees.
- Sliding Into Home has an excellent look at former Yankee prospects who are trying to win jobs around the majors this Spring.