AL East Standings
Let's look around the Inter-Google for stories about our New York Yankees today, the first time in 971 days the Yankees have been alone in first place.
- Let's get this one over with. You know I am on the 'leave Joba Chamberlain in the rotation' side of that supposed argument. So is General Manager Brian Cashman. Cashman told ESPN Joba to the bullpen is "not even an option." He had even more to say about the 'he's better in the bullpen' argument, and he wasn't very nice about it.
"That's all crap," he said. "Wake up and smell the coffee. If he's on national television on ESPN and throws 91 on the 22nd pitch, why would you think if he comes in in the eighth inning protecting a 4-3 lead [he'd throw 96]? Stop, he's a starter.''
Thank you, Cash. This argument should be over. The only way Joba sees the bullpen ever again is if he hit his innings limit later this year. Or, down the road he proves that he physically can't handle starting. Period. By the way, check out this comparison of Chamberlain and Johan Santana at the same age. It provides more evidence of why the Yankees want to see what kind of starter Chamberlain can become.
- Speaking of Cashman, can you believe he has been employed by the Yankees for 20 years?
- CC Sabathia loves Cleveland, but now that he is no longer an Indian not everyone in Cleveland loves him.
- Andy Pettitte left Friday night's game with a back injury, but insists he will make his next start.
- Francisco Cervelli has impressed the Yankee brass. "He's given us everything we could have asked for," said Manager Joe Girardi.