Here is a look at a little of what is being written about the New York Yankees today, one whole game into the exhibition season.
- Alex Rodriguez homered yesterday, and then left with his cousin, Yuri Sucart. whom A-Rod implicated in his steroid admission. This proves, for the umpteenth time, that A-Rod is a great player on the field but not very smart in terms of his actions off of it.
Brett Gardner hit a home run Wednesday and made a nice catch in the outfield, firing the first salvo in his competition with Melky Cabrera for the center field job. I am rooting for Gardner. I love his skill set, and I'm tired of Cabrera. He is, truthfully, a good fourth outfielder.
- Babe Ruth's monument has been installed at the new Yankee Stadium.
- Even the Japanese apparently are not very fond of Kei Igawa.
- Peter Abraham, the best in the business when it comes to covering the Yankees, has the Spring Training TV and radio schedule. By the way, the first televised game is this afternoon (1:15 p.m.) on YES. The Yankees are playing Tampa Bay.
- You can get a bleacher seat at Yankee Stadium for $5. Of course, you actually have to watch the game on TV.
- No one is talking about Phil Hughes this spring.