With the minor league seasons nearly over, and roster expansion a couple weeks away, I thought it would be a good idea to look at each player's season to date rather than just the week. This week I'll look at the pitchers, next week I'll look at the hitters, and the final week I'll give out awards.
- When we break down the season, we'll indubitably talk about the loss of Posada, Matsui and Wang, and to lesser extents the injuries to Arod, Jeter, Damon, Joba, Hughes, and IPK. But we can't forget Jonathan Albaladejo and Brian Bruney. Those two came to camp ready to be major players.
- And in the ready to be major players department: Veras, Edwar, and Dave Robertson really showed me something this season. But that doesn't mean the major league bullpen is set because Bruney and Albaladejo will be back, while two-thirds of the Tommy John trio, Melancon and Cox, deserve good long looks in the spring. Even better, Veras is the old man of the group, turning 28 in October.
- Chris Britton deserves a look too, but Joe Girardi saw him in the shower once and the image is forever burned into Joe's retinas- Joe is afraid a second look might kill him.
- In a season when he was poised to be the first arm called up from AAA, Alan Horne had his season spoiled by a cascade of injuries.
- Get on the bandwagon now! Zach McAllister should start the season in AA next year and could be poised to shoulder a big league workload very soon. He doesn't turn 21 until December.
|Daniel McCutchen traded||25||AA-AAA||20||123.1||116||29||3.14||110||1.18|