Okay, I admit it -- I hate the White Sox. I hate that franchise with a passion and I make no bones about it. I hate them even more than the Red Sox.
I simply cannot respect a franchise responsible for so many abominations to the game of baseball:
- Black Sox Scandal
- Employing Hawk Harrelson (as both an announcer and a GM)
- Disco Demolition Night (Watch Keith Olbermann's interview w/ Chicago radio host Steve Dahl on the 25th Anniversary)
- Introducing shorts as part of a baseball uniform (see graphic)
- Playing second-fiddle for decades to a cross-town Cubs' team best known for losing (and their ballpark)
- Playing "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" by Steam after every homerun, every opponent pitching change, and after every ChiSox win
Shall I go on?
True story, I had a cousin who "participated" in the festivities at the infamous Disco Demolition Night back on July 12, 1979. He really got the crap beat out of him and was arrested and subsequently spent time in jail for running out on the field like an idiot and wreaking havoc on the Chicago authorities.
I was just 5 years old at the time, but I remember my parents going to bail him out of jail. It was hardly a shock to anyone and I'm quite sure his arrest was well-deserved.
Unfortunately, I'll be forced to watch these three games in Chicago on the local networks with the sweet sounds of the aforementioned worst announcer in MLB.
Michael Kay is bad, but he has nothing on Hawk Harrelson.
YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOOOOOOOOAAAAAAARRRRRD........ YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!