Nothing ever happens the way things are predicted - so here are 20 bold predictions for this season in the AL East.
1. Every team has a record 81-81 or better.
2. The fourth-place team is within 5 games of first.
4. Brian Roberts actually has an above-replacement level season.
5. Koji Uehara flops - but somebody not currently on the 40-man roster locks down Boston's 9th innings from mid-July on.
6. Jose Reyes puts up a season to remember.
8. James Loney is not worth his contract at all.
10. The Red Sox put up a horrendous first two months, but after they shave their beards in the first week of June, they start winning.
11. Derek Jeter actually bats low in the order for a few games during a severe slump.
14. Chris Davis doesn't become a HR machine again - but he does lead the league in batting average.
15. Ubaldo Jimenez goes 8-1 with a 0.97 ERA before the All-Star Break, but 1-5 with a 9.45 ERA after it, sent to the DL with "arm fatigue" in the middle of August.
16. Nobody makes a blockbuster trade at the trade deadline - but a minor, swap scrap heaps kind of trade pays dividends for the Blue Jays, as whomever they trade for leads the team down the stretch.
19. Ichiro Suzuki is designated for assignment in August.
20. The Houston Astros have their way with the AL East, going 24-10 - including sweeping the Yankees to start the season.
Hey, it could happen, right?