Yesterday on Pinstriped Bible:
Around the World:
It has been said that Derek Jeter will be ready to play baseball by March 10, where he will assume the DH role until he is ready to take the field. It seems that that date might not be as concrete as originally hoped. Girardi's plans for the lineup are in a holding pattern until Jeter can prove that he's ready before Opening Day.
David D'Alessandro has a sit down Q & A with Yankees outfield prospect Slade Heatchott. They discuss what it's like to be a Yankee, and, of course, his troubled past. The article's title also refers to him as an infielder for some reason so this could be a completely different person with the same name!
With the injuries to Alex Rodriguez and Curtis Granderson, Mark Teixeira needs to step up in a big way to make up for the loss in production. Kevin Youkilis will also have to step up and recapture his former abilities after a down year in 2012.
Dellin Betances is a mess and he needs to figure out how to right the ship. He needs to repeat his delivery and maybe even hold back a little on the power so he can get the ball over the plate.
Injury Updates: Ichiro Suzuki feels fine after getting into a car accident. Apparently when he was a kid (Baby Ichiro, Nooo!), Ichiro was hit by a car while on his bicycle and ever since he has been very careful while driving. Phil Hughes played a casual game of toss and felt fine. Slade Heathcott is wearing a brace on his right wrist after spraining his thumb tackling Ronnier Mustelier in the outfield. It was a little swollen the next day, but should be completely fine after a few days of rest.
Outfield Alignment: It seems likely that Curtis Granderson will return to his place in centerfield once he comes back from injury. Cashman has said that Brett Gardner is a much better fielder, but Granderson's lack of playing time in left field makes it difficult to allow the change to happen.
Reassignment: A day after the first round of cuts, it has been announced that Greg Bird has been reassigned to minor league camp.
Questions of the Day:
- If you were a baseball player, what position would you play?
- What is your favorite piece of Yankee merchandise?
- What is your favorite type of bagel?
- What is your favorite type of hot dog (Ballpark? Nathan's? Hebrew National? Other?) and what do you put on it?
Coming Up Today:
- The Unexpected Rise of Robinson Cano to Baseball's Next Potential $200M Man by Mason @ 10 am
- How I Learned to Stop Worrying About Steroids and Love Baseball Anyway by Tanya @ 2 pm
- No Game today (sad face) so we'll probably have an Open Thread up at some point this evening