The Yankees formally introduced Brian McCann, their newest catcher, in a press conference today at 2:00 pm. Brian Cashman, Hal Steinbrenner, Randy Levine, Joe Girardi, and McCann's wife and extended family were all on hand to welcome McCann to New York.
Here are some quotes from the press conference in case you missed it.
Cashman: "Building teams obviously start up the middle, and theres no better place to start than behind the dish."— Daniel Barbarisi (@DanBarbarisi) December 5, 2013
Cashman: "This is one step of many we need to take this offseason" as they build team. Yanks keep sounding theme that theyre not nearly done— Daniel Barbarisi (@DanBarbarisi) December 5, 2013
Brian McCann will wear #34— Sweeny Murti (@YankeesWFAN) December 5, 2013
Girardi starts out by pumping McCann's abilities as a defensive catcher, not his usually-touted offensive game.— Daniel Barbarisi (@DanBarbarisi) December 5, 2013
McCann: "To say this is one of the best days of my life would be an understatement." pic.twitter.com/PMCjd631Zy— Bryan Hoch (@BryanHoch) December 5, 2013
McCann asked about 21, but that was Paul O'Neill's number and is out of circulation. Took 34 and said its for ex-teammate Eric O'Flaherty.— Jack Curry (@JackCurryYES) December 5, 2013
Or you can watch the whole thing here:
- Yankees had #34 onesies for McCann's kids
- McCann is very, extremely bald
- McCann called Mark Teixeira, who he briefly played with in Atlanta, to discuss playing in New York.
- Staying on the East Coast was a big deal for him
- Felt no reservations about the Yankees spending this offseason to be a contender
- McCann noted that the team wasn't done making moves
- Happy about the Jacoby Ellsbury signing, calling him one of the best center fielders in baseball