The Yankees have not been able to shake the injury bug this year, and a mediocre post-all star start isn't helping.
Luckily the Yanks are several games up after one of the better pre all-star performance in recent years. However,
the entire AL East is above .500. Despite recent injuries to our lineup (Swisher,Tex) and recent sub-par bullpen.
With all of this, here are my reasons why I'm confident the Yanks can reach the postseason w/o making a move.
1) The Return of Joba Chamberlain- Joba will be coming back just when we need him.
Performances by Qualls, Eppley, Rapada, have not been up to standard, and with Joba Chamberlain back as well as David Phelps, Joe Giradi will make smarter moves when taking out the starting pitcher. Without this strong bullpen, Managers often times stretch out a starter passed his effectiveness, which results in runs given up in the last inning of the starter's night. The Yanks need to be confident that they can pull the starter after 6 and still keep the win, or come-back in the 8th or 9th.
With a Bullpen that features Soriano in the 9th, Robertson in the 8th, David Phelps and Joba Chamberlain in the 6th,7th.., Specialist Boone Logan or Clay Rapada for specialists, and Chad Qualls, Cody Eppley when we're down and out to keep the important guys fresh.
2) The Experience of Starting Pitchers- In any run to the postseason, Starters must pitch to win the game and make good decisions and execute in the clutch. With multiple postseason appearances among all our pitchers, I'm confident that this area will aide the Yanks up to and in the postseason.
3) Our Utility Players- Especially in the next coming days, the ability for our players to fill in at 1B while keeping a stellar lineup is key. Luckily, both Nick Swisher and Eric Chavez are capable of playing 1B. With Ichiro in Right, and both A.Jones and Ibanez playing Left or DH, or with Jayson Nix, and Ramiro Pena- hopefully Nunez is able to come back up instead of Pena- avaliable to pinch-run, or in there's another injury, the 1B situation won't get out of hand. Then when both Tex and A-Rod come back, our lineup will be even stronger at the end of August-September.
4) Russell Martin's Bat- If Russell Martin, or whomever plays the Catcher position can hit above just .200, this will be fine for the Yankees.
- I see a deep run to the postseason this year.