Good morning, Pinstripe Alley readers. Here's your usual morning news for Wednesday, May 23rd.
- In case you missed last night's action, the Yankees picked up a win against the Royals behind a strong start from Phil Hughes. Robinson Cano launched a solo homer, Derek Jeter picked up an RBI single, and Curtis Granderson added an RBI groundout in the 3-2 victory.
- Tyler Kepner of The New York Times writes that the Yankees need their sluggers of old, not old sluggers. The Yankees are committed to Alex Rodriguez and Mark Teixeira for a long time, so it would be nice to see their production pick up. The two have just 10 homers combined.
- Over at ESPN, Wallace Matthews writes that Mariano Rivera made his first appearance in the Yankees clubhouse for the first time in awhile. Mariano has been receiving treatment and blood thinners to take care of the blood clot in his calf. Though he feels better, no date has been set for surgery on his ACL.
- Do you see similarities between the 2008 Yankees and the 2012 Yankees? An article over at Sports Illustrated discussed that for the currently struggling Yankees, it is starting to seem a lot like 2008.
- Bernie Augustine of The Daily News wrote that Babe Ruth's former jersey sold for over $4.4M at an auction, a world record for sports memorabilia items.
- Over at the Yankee Analysts, Eric Schultz wrote about the reasons to appreciate Raul Ibanez. The highlight? His 223 wRC+ in high leverage situations.
I don't wish to make a big deal of this, but I'm going to be leaving Pinstripe Alley. I have a few summer jobs and I just received some awesome news in that I'll also be working with students with special needs this summer. This is very exciting for me because I begin my student teaching in the fall, and I want to be as prepared as possible for it.
I'd just like to thank the managers of the site, current and former, for hiring me and doing a great job with the website. I'd also like to thank Brandon for keeping the possibility of a return open.
I'll hang around every once in a while, but with everything going on, I just don't have the time to give Pinstripe Alley my full attention.
Anyway, have a good one, PSA.