Tonight we'll see just the seventh all Japanese starting pitcher matchup ever as Hiroki Kuroda goes for the Yankees against Yu Darvish of the Rangers.* The contest will be broadcast live in Japan.
- May 3rd could be Brett Gardner's ETA. That's the start of a four-game set in Kansas City. The gritty, gutty left fielder was off to the best start of his career: .817 OPS through nine games. Hopefully there's no rust when he returns.
- It looks like Andy Pettitte will make three more minor league starts before getting called up, beginning tomorrow night in Trenton. I'll be at and live-tweeting the game.
- Check out a solid feature story on A-Rod. The guy really does seem to love the game of baseball. I could see him becoming a coach after his playing days.
- Remember the Yankees-brand cologne? Mariano Rivera and Curtis Granderson will be "brand ambassadors" for the new scents; $49 for 1.7 oz., or buy it in bulk (3.4 oz.) at a discount ($62).
- Ivan Rodriguez threw out last night's first pitch following his retirement five days ago after a 21-year career. The probable Hall of Famer won an MVP (1999), 13 Gold Gloves and was a 14-time All-Star. He had a disappointing 33-game stint with the Yanks in 2008, but the players and coaches wish nothing but the best for him.
- Roger Clemens' re-trial jury has been selected. FYI, Pettitte's testimony will be barred from the new trial.
- Phil Mushnick doesn't like John Sterling.
* If you're in the Arlington, Tex. area and want to attend tonight's contest, try TiqIQ.