It's painfully slow with the Yankees right now, but here's the best I can do for your usual morning news.
- Could the Yankees be content with re-signing Eric Chavez rather than bringing in Hiroyuki Nakajima? That seems to be the case. The Yanks have until tomorrow to reach a deal with the 29-year-old Japanese shortstop.
- According to Tyler Kepner of The New York Times, the Yankees are saving now to make a potential splash next winter. However, that does not explain why the Yankees would ignore one year deals this winter. Additionally, a big splash next winter would not help the Yankees stay under that magical $189MM mark.
- The Yankees signed three players to minor league deals: Dewayne Wise, Cole Garner, and former top prospect Adam Miller.
- Over at CBS Sports, Sean Hartnett believes that despite a new year, having the same Yankees team might not be a bad thing.
- Finally, over at River Ave. Blues, Mike Axisa wonders if the Carlos Zambrano deal can tell us anything about A.J. Burnett.