The Yankees and Japanese shortstop, Hiroyuki Nakajima, are "still talking" about a contract. Friday is the deadline; if no deal is reached by then, the Yanks would receive their $2.5M posting fee back and Nakajima would return to Japan.
- Edwin Jackson is a free agent (and Scott Boras client), but he's looking for five years at $12M/season. That might be too rich for Hal Steinbrenner's blood.
- Matt Garza is another name being thrown about, especially in the AL East. The Yanks like both pitchers, but the prices (in money or prospects) may be too high to persuade them from pulling the trigger.
- Joba Chamberlain's been throwing off flat ground while rehabbing from multiple surgeries (including Tommy John). Look for his return around the All-Star break.
- LoHud catches up on the Yankees' Winter Ball players as they enter the postseason. They include Hector Noesi, Ramiro Pena, Jorge Vazquez, Colin Curtis and Pat Venditte, among others.
- Yesterday was the 92nd anniversary of the day Babe Ruth was sold by Boston owner Harry Frazee to the Yankees for $125K and a $350K loan. That changed baseball, and sports, history.