Good morning, Pinstripe Alley readers. Here's your usual morning news for January 26th, 2012.
- MLB.com released its annual Top 100 Prospects list, and the top Yankee on the list was left hander Manny Banuelos, checking in at number 12, one spot ahead of former top prospect Jesus Montero. Other Yankees on the list included Dellin Betances at number 41, Gary Sanchez at number 53, and Mason Williams at number 73. Though they are both very far away from the Bronx, I will be paying close attention to Sanchez and Williams, particularly because they have above average bats at premium positions.
- It flew under the radar yesterday, but the Andruw Jones re-signing became official yesterday. Jones will provide decent defense and great pop off the bench against left handed pitchers. He crushed lefties to the tune of a .400 wOBA and a 151 wRC+ last season. A bat like his against right handed pitchers would make for an interesting platoon.
- Over at River Ave. Blues, Mike Axisa examines potential moves for Domonic Brown or Jason Heyward in his mailbag.
- Joe Girardi announced that CC Sabathia will be the opening day starter this year. The real question, though, is why was this even a question?
- Michael Eder of The Yankee Analysts compared A.J. Burnett's 2011 season to a mystery starter that turned out to be Tim Lincecum. Looking at the numbers didn't seem right, as I thought there was something missing. There was - and it turned out to be FIP. A.J. had a 4.77 FIP while Lincecum had a 3.17 FIP.