The Yankees on Sunday made a play for Houston Astros lefty Wandy Rodriguez, but that push was driven by ownership, not Cashman, according to major-league sources. The Yankees were willing to pay $21 million of the $38 million remaining on the final three-plus years of Rodriguez’s contract, according to SI.com. The Astros, on the other hand, were willing to pay $2 million of Rodriguez’s salary this season or $5 million if his option for 2014 were exercised, sources said. But the teams, unable to bridge the financial gap, never even got to the point of discussing names.
Owners telling Cashman what to do again? Oh, no.
One rival GM who spoke with the Yankees said Cashman had seven untouchables in trade discussions — a high number for a team that considers its season a failure if it does not win the World Series.
- I'm trying to think of the seven right now, and I have the following: Jesus Montero, Manny Banuelos, Dellin Betances, Austin Romine. If you count Ivan Nova, there's another. Phil Hughes, too. That would still only make six. Thoughts?
- The Yankees lineup today is: Gardner LF, Granderson CF, Teixeira 1B, Cano 2B, Swisher RF, Chavez 3B, Posada DH, Nunez SS, Cervelli C.
- Jesus Montero is in the SWB Yankees lineup today, but will likely be called up soon. Dellin Betances will be the next top prospect to be promoted to AAA (rightfully so) and then Austin Romine (likely when Montero is promoted to the Show).
- Speaking of Scranton, Jorge Vazquez was named the International League Player of the Week today. Hopefully he keeps it up and earns a September call up.
- Yu Darvish is now represented by Arn Tellem and Don Nomura, according to MLBTradeRumors. I don't know if that means anything to anyone, and more importantly we still don't know if Darvish will be posted.
Darvish, 25 this month, has a 1.56 ERA, 10.2 K/9, 1.4 BB/9, and 0.20 HR/9 in 133 innings for the Fighters this year.
- The Yankees will play 21 of their next 30 games on the road. Among that stretch will be series vs. the White Sox, Red Sox, Angels, (home) Rays, (home) Royals, Twins, Athletics, (home) Orioles, and Red Sox. How confident are you?