The Yankees' bid for Yu Darvish was reportedly below $20M. That is very surprising. They bid $26M for Kei f***ing Igawa!
- But now that Darvish is "off the board," Gio Gonzalez is expected to be the next star to change teams. Many clubs are interested including the Red Sox, Tigers, Mets, Reds, Nationals, and to a lesser extent, the Yanks (though the alleged proposal of Jesus Montero, Manny Banuelos and Dellin Betances for Gio is absurd).
- What about Roy Oswalt for a year? The 34-year-old righty is now willing to accept a one-year deal but the Yanks don't appear interested.
- RHP Hiroki Kuroda is also seeking a one-year deal, and is reportedly close to agreeing to terms with a mystery team (not the Yankees).
- In case you've forgotten, Prince Fielder is still without a team. I think he'll eventually end up on the North Side, but the Orioles and Rangers remain suitors.
- The Mets are dropping their Rookie level Gulf Coast League team.
- The Cubs and Red Sox agreed on a compensation deal for Theo Epstein. Part of it will prohibit Epstein from hiring anyone from the Boston organization for three years.